Page InformationTitle: Technology used in the TaoTao-Project
Licence: Creative Commons 3.0: Attribution (CC BY)
Last Updated: 2014-02-08 13:25:34
Technology used in the TaoTao-Project
TaoTao-project has been developed on FreeBSD-operating system. The databases and translators were first written in C but the current branch uses PHP and MySQL. Full-text-searching is powered by Sphinx Search Engine. Apache is used as the web-server. Vector graphics has been made and edited with Inkscape. Other graphics has been done with GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program).
About file formats
Attachment files in the library are in DJVU, JPEG, ODS, ODT, PNG, PDF, and SVG formats. These formats have been chosen for high portability and usability. In modern Desktops these formats open directly without installation of additional software. When a file does not open the following list gives some clues for suitable software to open the file.
DJVU-files are full documents that can house text and graphics. These files can be opened with following programs:
- Okular with help of DjVuLibre library. The Okular is the default viewer for the KDE 4 Desktop available for Linux *BSD, Windows, Mac OSX, Solaris and Windows
- Evince with help of DjVuLibre library. The Evince is the default viewer for the Gnome available for Linux, *BSD and Solaris.
- DjVuLibre DjView available for Linux, Unix, OS X and Windows
- WinDjView available for Windows and OS X
JPEG and PNG -files
These are graphical documents that can should opened with all graphical web browsers.
OpenDocument standard is open standard for wide variety of documents. These files can be opened with following programs:
- OpenOffice available for Linux, *BSD, Windows, Mac OS X and Solaris.
- Koffice available for Linux, *BSD, OSX and Windows.
- Abiword available for Linux, *BSD, OSX and Windows.
- NeoOffice available for OSX.
- StarOffice available for Linux, Solaris and Windows.
- Viewer by OpenDocument Fellowship available for Linux, OS X and Windows.
- New MsOffice supports these formats.
- Older MsOffice users need Sun’s ODF Plugin for Microsoft Office.
- For PDA there is SEPT-Solutions Mobile Office.
PDF is portable document format that is widely used. It can house text, graphics, audio and video. Most readers are only able to show text and graphics. These file can be opened with following programs:
- Okular which is default viewer for the KDE 4 Desktop available for Linux *BSD, Windows, Mac OSX, Solaris and Windows
- Evince which is default viewer for the Gnome available for Linux, *BSD and Solaris.
- Preview/Safari available for OS X as default viewer
- For Windows you need an additional software. The most common, but not very secure is Adobe Acrobat Reader.
These are scalable vector graphic documents. Proper web browsers like Firefox, Opera, Chromium/Chrome, Konqueror and Safari support these files natively. Microsoft Internet Explorer does not support SVG natively. If you are using IE then you need to install third-party-plugin like discontinued ASV from Adobe
These files can be opened or edited with OpenSource software called Inkscape. Inkscape is available for Linux, *BSD, Windows, Mac OSX and Solaris